New Study Reveals Marketers Find Social Platforms More Critical to the Success of Digital Video Campaigns Than YouTube, Vevo and Others
Will Facebook deliver a video knockout punch to YouTube?
Trusted Media Brands’ Study Explores the Future of Digital Video Showing Social Wins Digital Advertising Dollars
NEW YORK, August 2, 2016 – Results from a new Trusted Media Brands, Inc. study exploring the future of digital video found 65 percent of surveyed marketers think social platforms (e.g. Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter) are the most important partners for digital video campaigns over video platforms (YouTube, Vevo); video demand side platforms or DSPs (Videology, Tremor Video); full episode players (Hulu, broadcast and cable digital properties); ad networks; publishers (BuzzFeed, Vice, Vox); and multichannel networks (Maker Studios, Awesomeness TV, FullScreen).
“The Future of Digital Video” study, commissioned by Advertiser Perceptions on behalf of Trusted Media Brands, asked more than 300 agency and client side marketers how and where they plan to spend their video advertising dollars in the coming months.
Key research highlights include:
- YouTube will take a backseat to social as a preferred platform for digital video distribution. While video platforms are favored by 59 percent of all respondents, marketers rate social as by far the most important (65 percent).
- Live stream is on the radar and is likely to see increased advertiser investment. Eighty-nine percent of respondents are considering using live-stream video advertising in the next year (18 percent will definitely use live stream, and 71 percent responded they “might”).
- Social platforms (e.g. Facebook Live) are ahead of video platforms (e.g. YouTube Live) among both agencies and marketers for live-stream video advertising.
- Forty percent of respondents believe Facebook should set the standard for the future of the video industry, indicating the Facebook in-stream auto-play topic is ripe for debate.
- Short-form video is most popular and use of micro video (5 seconds or less) is likely to grow. Forty-one percent of respondents plan to run short-form video content in the next year, with another 55 percent considering it.
- Overall, budgets for digital video advertising spending are rising. Sixty-five percent of agency respondents predicted an increase in the use of digital video over the next 12 months, with 32 percent of the digital video advertising spend overall being transacted programmatically.
“Facebook made a bold move with in-stream video. They followed that up with Facebook Live. At Trusted Media Brands, we’ve embraced both and wanted to get the facts from our clients and partners on what they see working in the marketplace,” said Rich Sutton, chief revenue officer of Trusted Media Brands. “Hats off to Facebook – it looks like they will overtake YouTube as the video advertising platform of choice.”
The Trusted Media Brands, Inc. survey was conducted in June 2016 among 305 U.S. media decision-makers from the Advertiser Perceptions Omnibus Panel. Download the white paper, along with additional chart and graphs from the study here.
About Trusted Media Brands, Inc.
Trusted Media Brands, Inc. (formerly known as The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc.), is a visionary, brand-driven multi-platform media company whose portfolio of iconic properties and products include Taste of Home, the world’s largest circulation food media brand; Reader’s Digest; The Family Handyman, America’s leading source for DIY; a suite of highly targeted brands including Birds & Blooms, Country, Country Woman, Farm & Ranch Living and Reminisce; and digital properties which include EnrichU, the Taste Community and Haven Home Media. Trusted Media Brands, Inc. reaches active consumers who genuinely connect with our blend of uplifting and enduring expertly-curated family, food, health, home improvement, finance and humor content – digitally, via social media, magazines and books, and events and experiences. Founded in 1922 by DeWitt Wallace as The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., one of the first user-generated content publishers, Trusted Media Brands, Inc. is headquartered in New York City. For more information, visit TMBI.com.
About Advertiser Perceptions
Advertiser Perceptions is the world leader in providing media company executives with the research-based advertiser insight and guidance necessary for producing superior advertiser experiences. The company specializes in determining, analyzing, communicating and applying what advertisers think — their plans, opinions and motivations.